Easy Vietnamese Pork Soup (noodle, pasta…)
This noodle/pasta soup is a very comfort food to eat. I and my family enjoyed these all the time,whenever breakfast, lunch or dinner. They are just so good for a quick lazy meal.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 300grams Pork short ribs (baby ribs)
- 100 pork bones
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 daikon, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 250 grams Vietnamese noodle ( or 300 grams dried noodle package)
- 8 Vietnamese beef meatballs ( medium size)
- 6 shallots
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- Cook the pork bones & ribs with 1 litre water over high heat to boil. Turn off the heat,drai and cook them again with 2.5L water over low heat, let simmer for at least 2 hours.
- After 2 hours,add chopped carrot and daikon in,cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the veggies is soft. Then add beef meatballs and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Season to taste with seasoning powder (or salt) and sugar.
- Bring 1L of water+ salt+ canola oil to boil, add noodle in and cook for 15 seconds or until the noodle is soft enough. When its cooked, drain into a colander
- Slice the shallots very thinly with a knife. cook in a boiled oil on the medium low heat until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon, then put on paper towels to drain the oil ( look very often as the shallot is easy to be burnt)
How to serve
- 30grams spring onion,finely chopped
- Lettuce, bean sprouts
- Ribs and bones should be washed carefully with lightly salted water, cook twice, do not put the lid on when cooking broth to make it cleaner.
- Add dried squid or onion (cut in half) to get more sweet flavor for the broth
- The noodle is soft very fast when you cook, so be careful. If you use dried noodle, soak it in water 30 minutes before cooking
- Shallots/onion need to be dried before frying to get extra crisp. Keep the leftover in the fridge by putting in an airtight box
- With the topping, you can use whatever you like, stir fried minced pork (season with salt and peper/oil 15 mins before cooking), boiled shrimp, hard boiled egg, slice boiled pork …are the usual topping in here.
- You can also use this broth to make Pasta soup. I guagranteed it is still super delicious. Here is the way to cook the pasta: 250grams Vietnamese Pasta:1L water:1/2 tsb salt:1Tbs oil Add 1 litre boil water+ salt+oil+ pasta in a pot ( you can also use a pasta cooker) and cook for 15 mintutes or until the pasta is soft. when its cook, drain the pasta into a colander placed into your kitchen sink, rinse with cold water
- Vietnamese Pasta is actually similar with italian pasta, so be free to replace the vietnamese pasta if u can’t find it.