The 2 first times making this Lemon meringue pie was horrible, my pie crust is always failed, the filling was sometimes too sweet, sometimes too sour. I did a lot of research and finally, in this 3rd time, God did smile with me. I am really happy with my pie, the crust was lovely tender and flaky, the filling is balance of sweet and sour, well. i really love it! x
LEMON MERINGUE PIE
- 200 grams all purpose flour
- 100 grams chilled butter, cut to tinycubes, about 3 mm thickness
- pinch of salt
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vinegar (i used apple cider vinegar)
- 1 cold egg
1. Add the flour, sugar and salt,zest, butter together in the large bowl. Use a pastry cutter oe a folk to mash the flour mixture with butter until it resembles a coarse meals. In a small bowl, beat an egg with a fork and then pour it into the flour/butter mixture. Add vinegar. Stir together gently until all of the ingredients are just together (do not over mix),seperate the dough into second, wrap in cling film, Chill for at least 2 hours before rolling.
2. When you are ready to use the dough to make a crust, remove from the freezer. On a floured surface roll the dough, starting at the center and working your way out. (Sprinkle some flour over top of the dough if it’s a bit too moist.) continue rolling until it’s about ½ inch larger in diameter than your pie pan. Roll out the crust to tart pan by rolling pin, Pierce crust all over with fork.
3. Freeze the crust for at least 15 minutes, preferably longer, before baking.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C, bake the crust for 10minutes or until it is firm and lightly golden brown
5. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool the crust to room temperature.
Do ahead: The dough can be wrapped and kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
- 140ml milk
- 140ml water
- 145 grams sugar
- 40 grams cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs yolks
- 125ml lemon juice (juice of 310 grams lemon)
- Zest of 2 1/2 lemon
- 1 table spoon butter
1. Whisk egg yolks in medium size mixing bowl and set aside. (That denatures the yolks and gets them ready )
2. In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, (cold ) water, milk, sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine. Turn heat on “medium” and, stirring frequently, bring mixture to a boil. Boil for 1 minute (No More than that). Remove from heat and gradually, one whisk-full at a time, add hot mixture to egg yolks and stir until you have added at least half of the mixture (then mix in the rest).
3. Return egg mixture to saucepan, turn heat down to “low” and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 more minute.
4. “Remove” from heat and “gently” stir in butter, lemon juice, and zest until well combined.
There is 2 ways to make meringue, the simple and the italian meringue, this time i used the simple meringue recipe, will update the italian way ASAP.
- 3 eggs white
- 4 tbs powder sugar
- pinch of cream of tartar
Whisk the egg whites with 4 Table spoon sugar and a pinch Cream of tartar until lighty stiff peak, Put on the steamed/hot lemon curd, use a folk to make some chop on meringue, and bake in the oven for 25-30 mins on the preheated 180C oven (or until the meringue is golden brown)
When it’s done, let it cool down and serve warm or put it in the fridge, oh your choice!
Happy baking! :”>
Note: follow the directions of making the filling very carefully, as if you dont follow this, sometimes the filling will be nomore thicken at the days after u put it in the fridge, and the meringue will be weep. so be careful!