Vietnamese chicken curry
My Boyfriend said this is my signature dish.This curry is not so strong like Indian curry but thicker than Thai green Curry. Also, it is just spicy enough for you to feel the curry flavor, so dont be scare if you are not a spicy-eater.
Marinate the chicken:
- 300gr thigh chicken, you can also use breast(but be careful coz if u cook chicken breast for a longtime, it will dry out)
- 2 tsp seasoning powder (1tsp salt)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp oil curry
- Shallot+ garlic (finely chop)
- 1 stalk lemon grass, Bruise the stalk of lemon grass by hitting it with a mallet
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 onion
Give minced garlic and shallot a squeeze to get the juice (don’t skip this step, as the juice make the greater smell)
Mix well the juice with garlic shallot with all the above ingredients and let them marinate for at least 1 hr or over night.
Fry the veggies
- 3 medium potato
- 1 carrot
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 30 ml vegetable oil
Fry to golden brown the vegies, this point to keep the vegie shape when cook in curry soup
Cook the curry
- 200ml coconut juice
- 250gr grated coconut->mix with 300ml hot water, let it stand 10 minute, squeeze to get around 200 ml coconut milk , if you have no time, just go with coconut milk in can, which is very easy to buy from super market.
- salt/sugar to taste (i add 2 tsp sugar/1/2tsp seasoning powder in this step)
- 1/4 onion
- 2 tbs tomato paste
Heat 2 tbs of oil over medium heat, cook the onion until transparent, stir fry the chicken, add tomato paste, coconut juice, turn down the heat when they are boil, let them to simmer around 15min add coconut milk in, bring it to boil and simmer again about 10 minutes more, salt+sugar+pepper to taste. Garnish by coriander or parsley.
- Tomato paste make the chicken more tender
- Dont just only use coconut milk, as if the milk cook for a long time, it will be seperated to oil and has burnt smell.
Check this link out for the cooking method: