No Crack Swiss Roll
This Swiss roll is very tender, light and airy. Used recipe of Japanese cotton sponge cake to make.
Adapted from Savoury days
* Recipe for 3 eggs (20 x 20cm pan)
- 20gram all-purpose flour
- 20gram corn starch
- 10gram unsalted butter
- 20gram Vegetable oil
- 30gram fresh milk
- 3 eggs (50gram each) separated yolks and white
- 40 gram sugar
- 3ml (1/2 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (i didnot use)
- 1 gram salt
* Recipe for 4 eggs ( 25 x 35cm pan)
- 25gram all purpose flour
- 25gram constarch
- 15gram unsalted butter
- 25gram Vegetable oil
- 40gram milk
- 4 eggs , Separated
- 60gram Sugar
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar (i did not use)
- 2gram Salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 170C (or 160C if you use dark color pan). line baking tray at the bottom, not at the sides.
2. Sift flour, salt and contarch, mix well (1). beat the egg yolks+ vanilla
3. Melt the butter+oil+ milk in a double boiler until hot (45C-50C) (2)
4. Add the (1) tbs by tbs to the (2) add egg yolks & vanilla in, mix well (3)
5. Whisk egg whites. Starting with a low speed hand mixer, whisk about 40-50 seconds,until foamy. Add Sugar in Tbs by Tbs until lightly stiff peak
6. Add 1/3 whisked egg whites to (3) . Mix well
7. Fold the rest Egg whites to the batter. (half and half)
8. Pour batter into lined baking tray. Try to spread the batter as evenly as you can.
9.Bake cake for about 22 minutes until browned on top. Test doneness with a cake tester or toothpick. Remove from oven and immediately invert onto another baking sheet. Tightly but gently roll the sheet cake and allow to cool in the rolled position. This is to ensure the cake can be rolled easily later as it is most pliable while still hot.
Add whatever filling you like when the cake cool down.
* I tried this recipe for my Chocolate Swiss Roll (4 eggs recipe for 22x28cm baking pan, 20g all purpose flour: 20g cornstarch: 10g cocoa) the cake were a lil bit thick, but still easy peasy to roll, it will be the best if i can taste more the cocoa flavor. maybe I will add more cocoa powder next time.