How to Roast Beef
Choosing the Beef:
- Bolar blade roasts are economical and have good beef flavour.
- The eye fillet/tenderloin is a very tender beef roast. It’s mild in flavour and deliciously juicy.
- Eye round/girello is a good everyday beef roast.
- Rib eye/scotch fillet is one of the juiciest beef roasts. It’s tender and tasty.
- Rump roasts tick all the boxes. you’ll find them succulent and rich in flavour.
- Sirloin/porterhouse roasts are big on beefy flavour and rich in texture. they’re very juicy too.
- A standing rib roast is an impressive beef roast. It’s very tender, as well as very flavoursome.
- A topside roast is a great value beef roast. Perfect for salads and sandwiches.
How to roast:
- Rub/massage the meat with oil/salt/ peper in the frigle 1 night be4 cooking time
- Take the roast from the fridge about 1 hour before cooking. If you like rare or medium rare meat, and the roast is without a bone it’s a good idea to do this.
- Sear the Beef on high heat 1 minute per side
- Placing the roast on a bed of vegies( carrots, onions cut into sticks)fat side up.
- Cook for the calculated time, baste the roast occasionally.Use the juices in the roasting dish to baste the roast as it cooks. Add a little stock to the dish if there’s only a small amount of pan juices. Or make a baste to give your roast extra flavour).
- Check for degree of doneness just before the estimated cooking time is up.
- Always allow the roast to rest before serving. This gives the juices in the meat a chance to redistribute, giving a moister and more tender result. Transfer to a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.( time to make yorkshire pudding)
The internal temperature for:
- Rare 55-60ºC
- Medium rare 60-65ºC
- Medium 65-70ºC
- Well done 70ºC
The temperature still raise up around 5C – 7C when resting, make sure u get the meat out of the oven before doneness temperature.
- Rare 50ºC
- Medium rare 53ºC
- Medium 57ºC ( When i got my beef out at 55 C it’s medium rare, so 57C is better i think)
- Well done 63ºC ( One time i get my roast out at 60C, it was well done already, so be careful)
Oven cooking temperature and time
With 200C – 180C ( 200C for the first 10 minutes, turn it down to 180C), for medium meat(58c), cook for 20 minutes + 20 minutes for each 450grams (1 pound) Example: 3 pound roast will take 20 + 60 = 80 minutes. (dont forget checking the internal temperature 10 minutes before the doneness time) (i use this method for tender meat like tenderloin, rib eyes, and the beef will more rare in the center to outside)
For the Slow cooking method: put it in the 250C preheat oven, lower the temp to 230C ,cook for 10 mins, get the beef out, stick the meat thermometer in the center of the meat, put the meat and thermometer in the oven, lower temp again to 100 C and cook until the beef reach 58C for medium beef. ( i use this method for ribs or tougher meat like eye round, and the beef will less rare in the center to outside)
Tips: The meat thermometer is what you should have in your kitchen.