Sexy Chocolate Fondant
Want a lovely dessert to finish your romantic dinner? Want a cake which can make you feel good in the rainny day? This Cake is definitely perfect.
Hot chocolate Fondant AKA chocolate lava cake or molten chocolate cake is one of my Favourite dessert. They are not too sweet, rich, decadent, hot and intense with a oozing chocolate in the centre, once you have it, you just feel heavenly.
The first recipe i tried from Gordon Ramsay, The Cakes is very lovely abut its a little much Flour and Butter, so i decide to look for some lighter Recipe and i am happy with This Recipe, This one is very simple and easy…simply prepare everything and keep in the fridge for few hours, and after your guests have finished their main course, just pop the ramekins into the oven for 8-10 minutes, You will make your guests are so impressed with how effortless you whip up a warm and delicious dessert with no sweat and in no time at all…
(makes 4 small ramekins ; 4.5cm diameter bottom and 6 cm diameter top)
- 113 g good quality dark chocolate (at least 65% cocoa), cut to small cubes
- 55g unsalted butter, cut to small cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 50g caster sugar
- 30g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Melt dark chocolate and butter using the microwave for 30 seconds (until the butter are melted), or by a double boiler.
- In a large bowl, use an electric whisk (you can whisk by hand too but it’s more difficult) to beat the eggs and sugar/salt till the mixture turns pale and frothy. This will take a few minutes.
- Fold flour in melted chocolate and buter.
- Pour the whisked egg mixture prepared in step 2 to the chocolate batter. Use a spatula to fold everything evenly.
- Grease your ramekins with some soft butter, dust with cocoa powdeR or powder sugar (so that the cake will come off cleanly when it is baked). Fill the ramekin almost 3/4 full with the chocolate mixture and bake in a preheated oven of 200C for about 8-10 minutes. Mine took exactly 8 minutes. Don’t over-bake it, you will just get a super moist chocolate cake as usual.
- When it is baked, remove ramekin from oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes. Use a small knife to gently loosen the edges. Carefully invert the cake onto serving plate.
- If you bake the cake just after making the batter, it will take 8 minutes. Cold batter u kept in the fridge will take longer time, around 10 minutes. Mine is 11 minutes.(the cakes are done when the edges and surfaces are firm and raising a little bit)
Some Variations from this recipe.
- Add 1 tablespoons of orange liqueur and finely grated rind of one orange. This gives a delicious orange-chocolate flavor.
- Add some ground cinnamon and nutmeg or cloves to the chocolate and butter mixture.
- Add some mint flavoring/extract
- You may add a tsp instant coffee powder to mixture
- Add nuts in the batter like Pitachios, Cashews….
- Add 1 tablespoons of Rum
- Cook Raspberry/strawberry with sugar few minutes, when 1/3 filled ramekins, add cooked strawberry/Raspberry in, continue to fill the chocolate batter until almost 3/4
- Creat your own chocolate fondant recipe! 😛
Garnish/ Serving suggestion:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Rasberry/Strawberry Sauce(coulis) with some fresh berry
- Dust some powder sugar on/ berries on top/side
- Lightly whipped cream
- … Oh Just serve by your way my dear.. 😛
Happy Baking! x