Low fat Pineapple Upside Down Mini Cupcake
To be honest, I want to make a truly pineapple upside down cake with a pound cake for bottom, not cupcake. But after reading many recipes, i left my idea as “so much” butter in the ingredients. Has been an obsessed about weight girl for years, this cake does not dare me enough to make, that ‘s why, from a rich,heavy, buttery pound cake, i went ahead with fluffy and low fat cupcake, using oil instead of butter, cut the sugar to half…Oh can you see that? I tried many many ways to reduce the calories! :))
But the result is more than what i expected, The cupcake is really fluffy and very moist, the pineapple topping is just sweet enough,buttery and golden brown caramel syrup. Such a sweet suprise in this grey rainny day. I’m really happy and highly recommened this recipe! going to put it in my favourite recipes book. x
This recipe is very easy and simple, let’s started!
Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
Yield: 6 cupcakes
- 1/2 pineapple, chop lightly
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Rum
- 6 cherries (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg, separated
- 60 grams all purpose flour,sift
- 20 grams corn starch,sift
- 40 grams sugar
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 60 ml milk
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda,sift
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder,sift
Thoroughly grease 6 cupcake cups with nonstick cooking spray.
Make the topping:
- Add butter,salt, sugar in the sauce pan on medium heat until the sugar is melted, add chopped pineapple and rum in and cook until the sugar is thick and change color to golden brown.
- Evenly spoon the pineapple mixture into cupcake cups. Place one cherry in the center of each cup. Set aside until cool
Make the cupcakes:
- Mix all the wet ingredients together: milk+oil+egg yolk
- Mix all the dried ingredients together: flour+baking soda+baking powder
- Whisk the egg white with sugar (spoon by spoon) until the white drop in ribbons
- Gentle fold the dried ingredients to the wet mixture, then fold the “ribbons” egg white in to the mixture.
- Pour the cupcake batter in to cupcake cups (already cool)
- Bake for 20 -22 minutes on the preheated 175C oven.
- Allow to rest in pan for 2 minutes and then invert onto serving platter.
The topping should be thick. Check the thickness by put a spoon in the freezer when u start making topping. When you want to know just get the spoon out, add 1 drops of the caramel, if they are still on the spoon, you know it ready. This is the way to check the thickness when you make jam too
Lightly fold the cupcake batter, dont over mix or your cake will be rubbery! 🙂