Shepherd’s Pie is a very traditional English food. The first time heard about this Pie, I was suprised as it was not made from a pie crust like it’s name,and well, I did find out the definition for my question after stealing some of my Bf’s Shepherd’s pie. It’s a savoury Pie with Flavorful ground meat is mixed with a simple blend of vegies, topped with a creamy layer of mashed potato.Once you have taste it, i guranteed you wont stop eating until there is nothing in your bowl.
Today i did try to cook this pie after watching a video clip of chef Marco White. I learnt almost the cooking method from him. It taste lovely and very hommy-food, simply delicious, very comfort food! x
- 500 grams minced Lamb
- 3/4 cube Lamb stock or whatever stock you are having at home ( use salt instead of stock cube if you are using the below stock)
- 200ml water ( or 200ml lamb stock or whatever stock you like)
- Pinch of sugar / pepper / nutmeg / theme / rosemarry
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoon worstershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 500 grams potato, cut into chunks
- 1 egg yolk
- Cheese, grated ( whatever type of cheese you liked, i used parmesan and cheddar, both tasted great)
- thyme/rosemarry (i prefer fresh but feel free to use dried herb, just make sure u are not bothered eating sth feel like grass. 🙂
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, then soften the onion and carrots for a few mins. When soft, turn up the heat, crumble in the lamb and brown, tipping off any excess fat. Add the stock cube, herbs, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce, then fry for a few mins. Sprinkle cornstarch in, Pour over the water, bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 30 mins, uncovering halfway.
- Meanwhile, make the mash. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 10-15 mins until very tender. Drain, then mash with the butter, hot milk, yolk and cheese
- Put the mince into an ovenproof tray, top with the mash and ruffle with a fork, grate some cheese on top. Bake for 30 mins in the reheated oven (180c) until the top is golden brown and a bit crispy.
+ This is also the recipe for Cottage pie, just use minced beef instead of Lamb.
+ The un-bake pie can be chilled and frozen for up to a month. To bake from frozen, cook at 160C 1 hr-1 hr 20 mins until piping hot in the centre. Flash under the grill to brown, if you like.) Leave to stand for 5 mins before serving. Or you can defrost by putting the pie into the fridge in the morning when u go to work, it will be ready to throw in the oven when you back home in the afternoon. 🙂
+ You can use whatever kind of cheese you like, i used parmesan and cheddar before, they both tasted pretty good,
+ The Veggies is very tender because you add carrot at the start, If you like not too-soft-veggies, you can add them 10 mins before finish the simmer time, the veggies will be cook more in the oven, so they will be soft enough to eat.
+if you prefer a gooey cheese mash potato, when u just finish the mash, wait until its cool down, cut the cheese into chunks, mix with the mash and bake, this is so damn good for cheese lover!
Right, im off for searching recipe for cakey cocoa brownie, good luck! happy eating! x